Northern Bullmastiff Club Code Of Ethics
All breeders who register their puppies, and new owners who register ownership of their dogs with the Kennel Club, accept the jurisdiction of the Kennel Club and undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics. In addition the club has it's own rules and regulations that all members must agree to before joining the club.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and / or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and / or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.
- Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
- Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
- Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
- Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
- Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
- Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or breed.
- Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
- Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
- Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
- Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
- Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and given guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
- Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree in writing to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
- Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
- Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
- A bitch should not be allowed to conceive until at least 20 months of age, nor subsequently bred more than once in a 12 month period. A bitch should not generally be allowed to conceive a first litter over the age of 5 years, nor having had a previous litter after her 6th birthday. No bitch should have more than 4 litters. Owners of stud dogs shall not allow bitches which are over or under age to be mated and should refuse a mating to any bitch which is not in good physical condition. Stud dog owners shall examine all documents for the bitch (pedigree registration etc.) prior to mating with their dog.
- It is recommended that no puppies shall leave the breeder before the age of 8 weeks. Potential owners should buy from the homes in which the puppy was born. They should endeavour to see both parents wherever possible, in order that the temperament may be assessed. No puppies should be exported before they are fully inoculated, or before the age of 3 months, unless they are travelling in the personal care of the owner or his known representative. No puppies should be sold to countries where they are not protected by anti-cruelty laws.
- Where there is substantive evidence of malpractice or mistreatment of the Bullmastiff, it is the duty of every member to report such to the Honorary Secretary of the club for the consideration of the committee. The committee, after investigation of the complaint, may consider such matters and act accordingly.